fbpx Stack Sitting / Back Rest | Gokhale Method Institute

Stack Sitting / Back Rest

jimmyj
jimmyj's picture
10 years 3 weeks ago
Stack Sitting / Back Rest

Hi there!

I bring a wedge with my everywhere I go now to tilt my pelvis and stacksit. I still find sometimes that I want to use the backrest of the chair. I realize the principle of this technique is a balance that allows your spine to support itself without muscle intervention. But is it okay to position in such a way the integrity of the stack is intact, but the back of a chair provides a slight upper back support in the technique?

As much as I'm sold on stack sitting I think we still have have an urge to sit back.

Thanks.

Sophie Rubin
Sophie Rubin's picture
7 years 2 months ago

Hi jimmyj, 

When done properly, what you're describing is what we call stretchsitting. Since we absolutely do have an urge to sit back and relax, the healthiest way to accomodate that urge is by tractioning the back. We do make a stretchsit cusion, but since you already carry a wedge with you, I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to put a grippy surface on one or both sides of your wedge to make a cushion that can be used either under your bum or behind your back, depending on wether you'd like to stack or stretch.