fbpx What is a good stool / chair to sit on in an office all day long? | Gokhale Method Institute

What is a good stool / chair to sit on in an office all day long?

mgraysanfran
mgraysanfran's picture
6 months 2 weeks ago
What is a good stool / chair to sit on in an office all day long?

Hello,

I'm new to the Gokhale Method, and very excited about it. I'll be attending my first class in a few weeks.

I've had a lot of success over the past few years sitting on a stool at work (no back support). It has reduced my low back pain significantly. I'm wondering if there are any specific recommendations for what kind of stool to get (or even a chair). I notice that after an hour or two, there is often some fatigue in the muscles around my sitz bones. If I stand up and walk around for 10 minutes, I'm fine again. Also, I tend to feel like I'm falling forward as I sit on the front edge of the stool's cushion. I'm curious about height of the stool also since I'm about 6 foot tall. I've seen ideas like this Balans chair:

http://www.opsvik.no/index.asp?page=thoughts_balans_

It would, with the knee supports, seem to have the advantage of preventing me from having that "falling forward" feeling. It looks great ergonomically, though $400 sounds like a lot of money to me. Any insights, thoughts, ideas are appreciated.

Thank you!

-Michael

Sophie Rubin
Sophie Rubin's picture
7 years 1 month ago

Balans chairs are good, although we would recommend our own chair more highly: http://gokhalemethod.com/chair

If your body tells you to get up and move around, I would say that's a good thing! Especially at the 1-2 hour mark. If it's really important to you to sit for longer periods, you might consider a personal consultation with a teacher who could help determine if your stacksitting could be modified slightly.