fbpx Activities: Ballet | Gokhale Method Institute

Activities: Ballet

dianebyrd
dianebyrd's picture
12 years 11 months ago
Activities: Ballet

I have an almost 6yo daughter who has been in ballet a couple years.  In just the last couple weeks we discovered she has scoliosis.  The cause is yet undetermined.  Prior to this, I had been concerned that ballet was not conducive to supporting the principles in the gokhale method, with ballet's emphasis on keeping the rear tucked.  On the other hand, I was hoping that it would be helpful for her general low muscle tone and her pronanted feet.  With the addition of discovring the curved spine, I'm not sure that ballet with its stretching exercies of the spine both forward and backward are good for herr.  

I'm also trying to figure out how to help teach my daughter the principles of the 8 steps.  

I'd really like to find a sport or dance that would provide my kids with muscle strengthening, cardiovascular health, and good posture, as well as remaining modest for little girls.  I had always been attracted to the grace and strength I saw within ballet dancers.  I'm not sure what alternatives there are.  

Do you have any input?  

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

Hi Diane, 

As a former professional ballet dancer and current Gokhale Method teacher and ballet instructor, I appreciate your questions.  Unfortunately tucking the pelvis has slipped into the ballet lexicon for many students and teachers over the years.  There are however, many wonderful teachers and schools who understand the importance of keeping a long back and untucked pelvis.  In fact, if you look at many photographs of famous dancers (I would google Nureyev), you will notice their pelvises are very much anteverted.  If it really concerns you, it might be worth shopping around for a good ballet school or having a conversation with your daughter's current instructor.  

I loved being a dancer and I think it is an excellent place to practice beautiful posture and experience a sense of grace.

I hope this is helpful!

Very best, 

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher