fbpx appetite and inner corset | Gokhale Method Institute

appetite and inner corset

gokhalesteph
gokhalesteph's picture
7 years 2 months ago
appetite and inner corset

Hi. I have recently had the experience that the changes to my torso resulting from engaging my inner corset mean that I am sort of suddenly only comfortable eating 75% as much food as I used to eat. It's like I would have to collapse my torso in order to eat as much as I used to eat, which is no longer comfortable for me. I'm just curious whether this is something that other people report or that makes sense. I am an opera singer and I take ballet classes with a thoughtful teacher, and the changes to my singing and ballet give me confidence that the recent postural changes are good. I would just like some reassurance that I shouldn't be alarmed by the change in my eating. (I am definitely still eating enough food.) Thank you so much for your help.

Sheelagh
Sheelagh's picture
Teacher
5 months 1 week ago

Hi Gokhalesteph, I am so happy to hear that you are gaining confidence and that you are getting benefit from your practice of the Gokhale Method in your singing and ballet.  The decrease in the amount of food you are comfortable eating isn't something I've heard from anyone else but we are all unique.  I just want to make sure that you aren't engaging the Inner Corset all the time.  It is only for those times when you could be doing something potentially hazardous to your spine (sports, jumping, lifting, etc.).  If you aren't engaging the Inner Corset at meal times but use a bit of a rib anchor it could be that the muscle tone in your abdominal obliques and especially the transversus abdominus has increased and is holding your innards a little more snug than you are used to compared to a slumped posture.  I'm glad to hear you are still getting enough nutrition and feel like you are eating enough- just not over-eating anymore (a good thing!).  When you are stack sitting try to focus on your breath and see if you can feel your spine lengthening and settling while you are sitting.  I don't think I would be alarmed by this change but if you notice you are losing weight or have other changes in your health a trip to the doctor to rule out anything medical might be a good idea.  I would also encourage you to go to an alumni class if you have already taken the Foundations Course or have an Initial Consulation with your local teacher to check your stack sitting posture and fine tune things a bit.  I hope this helps and keep up the great work checking in with your body and noticing all these changes that are happening.  All the Best!  Sheelagh

gokhalesteph
gokhalesteph's picture
7 years 2 months ago

Thanks so much for your thoughtful answer, Sheelagh. I really appreciate it. I think your guess about the rib anchor is accurate, but I will do my best to check in with local experts. Thank you again and happy, happy holidays!