fbpx Glidewalking - Please correct me if I'm wrong! | Gokhale Method Institute

Glidewalking - Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Brenda Peter
Brenda Peter's picture
10 years 3 months ago
Glidewalking - Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I have found that with Glidewalking, the type of shoes I wear really helps.  For my daily walks, I wear very inexpensive "water" shoes which you can find at Walmart or Target.  In the winter, I wear them with fleece socks.  I really appreciate the flexible sole which allows a full range of motion to my feet.  When I'm in the house, I'm typically barefoot so that I can get the most from my movements.

I also find that having flexible hamstrings helps alot with walking properly.  I try to do hamstring stretches everyday, especially "legs on the wall" which is laying with your buttocks about 8" from an empty wall & your legs up on the wall spread to as far apart as you can.  I do that for 3-5 minutes/day.

I'm really not sure if I'm Glidewalking properly but when I walk I feel it in my calves, back of the thighs & gluteals, to the point of being slightly sore.  I should add that when I finally learned how to untuck my pelvis when I was standing, I felt the back of my body really working.

penwell.robyn
penwell.robyn's picture
Teacher
3 years 9 months ago

Hi Brenda,

It sounds like you are making good progress with your Glidewalking. I would recommend a Refresher course to check in with a teacher to help maintain this progress!  Well done.

Robyn Penwell, GM Teacher

Sacramento, CA