fbpx McKenzie method for PT | Gokhale Method Institute

McKenzie method for PT

Systematics2
Systematics2's picture
7 years 3 months ago
McKenzie method for PT

McKenzie techniques for low-back pain focus on extension (bending backwards) and flexion (bending forward with curved back and locked knees). I notice that my Gokhale book on 7 steps to pain-free backs shows illustration of these maneuvers as potentially damaging. The McKenzie system is well accepted in PT circles.
I should note that I am 78 and not so flexible any more. But I can touch my toes.
Should I avoid these moves?
Anne

Lori Szalay
Lori Szalay's picture
Teacher
2 weeks 1 day ago

The Gokhale Method does not encourge bending forward or backwards with a curved spine or having locked knees.  Curving the spine causes the spine to be stressed and compromised from it's natural healthy structure, this is not what we teach.  When exercising or standing never lock your knees, practice the 3-3-3 Tall Standing (in the book, "8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back"), which includes having "soft" knees.  That's great that you can touch your toes when bending but make sure you are not "rounding" your back when doing so.  To maintain safe back health when bending make sure you are hip-hinging (in book), keeping your upper body architecture in place and using your hamstrings & hip-rotators to support your bend.  If you have not taken the Gokhale Method Foundations Course, I highly recommend you do so as you will learn many techniques and exercises to help manage your back issues and help you keep your body safe and healthy while you exercise.  The Gokhale Method is well accepted in the Medical Field and is endorsed by many medical professionals.  

Also, as a fitness trainer for 20+ years I never encourage curving the spine or locking the knees when exercising.  So yes, I would avoid any exercises that encourage a curved spine and locked knees.

Lori Szalay

Teacher, The Gokhale Method

Atlanta, GA

Systematics2
Systematics2's picture
7 years 3 months ago

Thank you. I am signed up for an intro in San Rafael in January. Anne