fbpx Scoliosis | Gokhale Method Institute

Scoliosis

kristijan_
kristijan_'s picture
10 years 6 months ago
Scoliosis

Hello,

can this method help me with my scoliosis? I have a 24 degree lumbar curve.

Christine39
Christine39's picture
10 years 10 months ago

I have scoliosis too; I am 67 years old, in excellent health otherwise, and very discouraged about how TIRED i get doing anything; curvature is 46deg as determined by an MRI.  I am going to really try those chaperts in the book! I tried physio for 6 months with stretching exercises but of no effect; acupuncture and chiropractor also are ineffective; I had a few days of relief from massage.  I feel hopeful that her traction method of treatment by trying to lengthen the spine with her instructions may help!

I HOPE SO!! I was told that I would not be able to have an operation because of my age!

Christine39
Christine39's picture
10 years 10 months ago

I have scoliosis too; I am 67 years old, in excellent health otherwise, and very discouraged about how TIRED i get doing anything; curvature is 46deg as determined by an MRI.  I am going to really try those chaperts in the book! I tried physio for 6 months with stretching exercises but of no effect; acupuncture and chiropractor also are ineffective; I had a few days of relief from massage.  I feel hopeful that her traction method of treatment by trying to lengthen the spine with her instructions may help!

I HOPE SO!! I was told that I would not be able to have an operation because of my age!

Abeja Judy Hummel
Abeja Judy Hummel's picture
Teacher
7 months 3 weeks ago

YES!  Scoliosis is one of the conditions we have had a high rate of success in helping people with.  Because it is often genetic, we don't expect people with scoliosis to become completely symmetrical.  However, the pain and disfunction experienced is often related to the detrioration of the posture due to the effects of leaning into the existing curves, gravity, and fatigue.  At some point, a threshhold is crossed that leads to pain.  Through the gentle traction supplied by the Gokhale Method, students can relieve their pain and increase their function. Especially useful initially are stretchsitting, stretchlying, and the inner corset, which are all covered in Esther's book, and better learned through taking a Gokhale Method Foundations course.

Good Luck!

Abeja

Gokhale Method Instructor

Boonville, CA

ebillings
ebillings's picture
9 years 8 months ago

Hi there.  

I believe I have some scoliosis, not from left to right, but from front to back.  Does that make sense?  Would someone please give some feedback, suggestions, advice, etc. for this?  I have only heard The Gokhale Method address the side to side scoliosis.  Thanks a lot.  And how is this diagnosed?  Simple x-ray?

Erica

ebillings
ebillings's picture
9 years 8 months ago

Anyone there?