fbpx Scheuermanns disease | Gokhale Method Institute

Scheuermanns disease

Lemmi Tui
Lemmi Tui's picture
1 year 4 months ago
Scheuermanns disease

I would like to ask what you think of the possibilities for a grownup with Scheuermann's disease to improve posture. Is it possible to change the posture with the Gokhale method once you are 30 years old or more? Many physiotherapists seem to be of the opinion that it is not worth the while to try to do anything about it. Do you agree?
Best regards,
Lemmi Tui

cnelson
cnelson's picture
7 years 2 weeks ago

Note:This post has been moved from "General Questions" to "Conditions and Progress Reports: Back Conditions"

Happy Posting!

- Admin

Alejandro Macias
Alejandro Macias's picture
4 years 4 months ago

Dear Lemmi,

I am sorry we didn't get back to you earlier.

I encourage you to stay positive as there is a lot that we can do to with Scheuermann's disease and other kyphotic changes in the spine. I'd probably recommend you to start using a roller (http://gokhalemethod.com/gokhale_roller) to start reversing forward rounding at the thoracic spine. It's key to lengthen and mobilize the spine if we want to reduce imflammation and reverse disc degeneration. Eventhough I do not know what your specific situation is nor the extent of your kyphotic changes, you'd very likely benefit a lot from learning how to retain the re-gained spinal length thoughout your daily activities (sitting, standing, walking, and even sleeping).

Independently of age, we have seem tremendous postural changes in our students. WIth that in mind, I'd really recommend that you talk with a local Gokhale Method teacher that can guide you more specifically :)

-Alejandro, Gokhale Method teacher