fbpx Rib Anchor Difficulty | Gokhale Method Institute

Rib Anchor Difficulty

Ste H
Ste H's picture
5 years 7 months ago
Rib Anchor Difficulty

Hi all, i have been going to physio for years now and one thing that comes up a lot is the fact that my ribs flare. My shoulder blades stick out a lot, but i have been told they are not in the wrong position, but it is my ribs that are in the wrong position. 

Typical things we have tried are breathing exercises that focus on exhalation, trying to use my obliques to close down the ribs however we have never had much luck with this.

The reason i go to Physio is due to the back pain i suffer from, which my physio advises me is largely due to me being stuck in extension.

After reading the Gok Hole method book i am most interested in anchoring my ribs, but i still do not fully understand how to do it. Should i be using my spine to bring the ribs down or should i just be using my muscles? When i try using my muscles to pin the ribs down, my rectus abs overpower everything else.

I have recorded a video of me trying to anchor my ribs, this is the best i have managed so far.But i presume i am still doing this wrong as it looks very unnatural when i do it, and i am worried that i am making my posture worse. Any feedback you could give is greatly appreciated.

At the start of the video i am stood fairly relaxed (my normal position), then you will see i extend/push the ribs further forward, before attempting to anchor them down. You can then see when i relax again at the end of the video the clear difference. 

Hear is a link:       https://youtu.be/PlqPHIscbpk     

Teacher
1 day 9 hours ago

Hello – Thanks for your question and for sending the video.  The purpose of performing the rib anchor movement is to flatten out any sway in the upper lumbar area (L1-L4).  Here’s a video of Esther showing how to do it:

http://gokhalemethod.com/video/gokhale_moment_rib_anchor.

I think you are overdoing the rib anchor – try stopping about a third or half-way into the movement you are doing on the video.

More important is that the rib anchor isn’t meant to be practiced by itself – it goes together with all of the techniques in the 8 Steps book.  I recommend studying the book further from the beginning and putting all the pieces together, as in Tallstanding.  On the video, your knees look locked, and the groin is pushed forward, and it looks like your pelvis is slightly tucked, which will throw everything off.  If you start from the feet on up as described in the Tallstanding chapter, after the rib anchor comes the shoulder roll and head positioning. 

If the rectus muscles are tight or overdeveloped, they will pull the pelvis into a tucked position.  You can try the rib anchor isolation while lying on your back – see pages 198-200 of the 8 Steps  book – being careful not to let the pelvis tuck.  It might help to try Stacksitting on a wedge so that the pelvis stays anteverted and see if you can isolate the rib anchor internal oblique muscles there without using the rectus.

Please write if you have further questions –

Doreen Giles

Gokhale Method Teacher

Ste H
Ste H's picture
5 years 7 months ago

Hi there, Thanks for the reply.
I have been working to try and keep the ribs anchored but I am afraid I still am having no luck.
As you mentioned I have been trying the rib anchor isolation while lying on your back – pages 198-200
The problem I am having is the only way I can get my ribs to anchor is by using my rectus absomin, I do not understand how else you are supposed to achieve a rib anchor ?
Thanks again

Teacher
1 day 9 hours ago

Hello - As another teacher has recently advised you, I agree that your next step should be meeting with a teacher in person for an Individual Consultation, and/or taking the Foundations Course. There is only so much advice a teacher can responsibly give without seeing someone in person. 

All the best to you as you take your next step -

Doreen Giles

Gokhale Method Teacher