fbpx Tension in lower back when stretchsitting | Gokhale Method Institute

Tension in lower back when stretchsitting

gydiwon
gydiwon's picture
11 years 5 months ago
Tension in lower back when stretchsitting

I have tried stretchsitting but it feels uncomfortable and I have difficulty maintaining it for very long.  I feel a lot of tension in my lower back and buttocks as they press firmly into the seat.  I can hold the position for about ½ hour, but after that I need to take a break.

It seems like everyone is saying it’s supposed to be more comfortable, but that hasn’t been my experience so far.  Am I doing something wrong?

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 1 month ago

It could be that you are overstretching yourself, which is quite common with people just startng out with Stretchsitting.  If you have very tight back muscles or you are very accustomed to sitting with a tucked pelvis (retroverted) then the change to sitting upright may seem daunting for your body.  My suggestion is to ease off a little bit.  A little bit of stretch goes a long way, especially at the beginning.  Also, if your seat is sore, your "sitz" bones may need a little padding at the moment.  Put a pillow or thin cushion under you and see if that is helpful.  Also, ensure that your Stretchsit implement is not too low-it wants to be located at your mid-back or thoracic spine, not your low back or lumbar.

Good luck to you!

Warmly, 

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto/San Francisco