fbpx Support for small of back | Gokhale Method Institute

Support for small of back

guy500
guy500's picture
1 year 6 months ago
Support for small of back

Hi

This technique alone has stopped me waking up with back pain in the night (though there is still some aching in the morning).  Wonderful results.

However, I find that the small of the back needs some extra support.  I tend to put a sock under it, which seems to help a little, but not totally.  Is this something to be worried about?  It does sometimes seem to help a little as well if I put cushions under the knees as in the video - however, I find this unfomfortable, and usually wake up in the night and have to remove them.

Is there anything else I can to do support the small of my back while stretchlying?

Founder
5 hours 1 min ago

In the long run, having toned glutes will solve this issue. While you are still working on your "squeeze walking" (the first baby step towards glidewalking), putting a little support to increase comfort is a good idea. It's also true that if you stretch enough, it's not as relevant whether you have exactly the correct shape at L5-S1. If the intervertebral space is tall enough, the disc will be happy and that's all you need for a good night's sleep.