fbpx Engaging your inner corset | Gokhale Method Institute

Engaging your inner corset

Hunter Gatherer
Hunter Gatherer's picture
10 years 11 months ago
Engaging your inner corset

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble engaging my inner corset, and telling if i've done it properly. What should my abdomen look like when it's engaged? Should my stomach be sucked in? 

I'm also having trouble breathing when it's engaged, which would definitely be a problem when exercising. I breathe with my diaphragm, and I have trouble breathing that way when it's engaged. I thought of breathing with my chest, but I read that you should breathe with your diapragm when exercising. So, I'm completely confused!

Thanks in advance,

Hunter Gatherer.

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 1 month ago

Hi there, 

Yes, these questions can come up with Inner Corset.  The abdomen will look svelte when you are engaging your Inner Corset, so it is indeed "sucked in".  I do hesitate to think about it that way though, since length is really the goal.  If you think of going tall, up, and in, as though you are lifting your ribs away from the hips, that usually provides for a better corset.  This "growing taller" action will suck in the belly, it's true, but it will elongate and protect your back, which is the main purpose.  

When exercising, I encourage you to try and use a little less corset than if you were about to pick up a heavy item.  A slight lift in the deep abdominal and back muscles can help you to sustain a protected spine for longer than just a few minutes.  Also, it will be easier to breathe.  It is true that breathing in the diaphragm will be limited whilst using the IC.  Try to push your breath into your chest and upper back.  It's not a bad idea to get your lungs to expand into the chest cavity rather than always and only breathing in the diaphragm.  With time, this will get easier, since your muscles will get longer and stronger, and your ability to breathe in your chest will become easier.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Warmly, 

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Bay Area

tmwilliams84
tmwilliams84's picture
11 years 7 months ago

Hello, my confusion with the inner corset is the ribcage. I have curvature in my thoracic spine so my ribcage is slouched and already tilted forward. In the book it says to tilt the ribcage forward but in my case that would cause more of a curve and causes pain when I try. I know I'm doing it wrong. Is the ribcage supposed to go up and out so the chest is sticking out and shoulders naturally are back? That's the only way I can think its supposed to be. Is this right?