fbpx Can glidewalking create indentation in otherwise pear-shaped der·ri·ère? | Gokhale Method Institute

Can glidewalking create indentation in otherwise pear-shaped der·ri·ère?

vandu
vandu's picture
11 years 4 months ago
Can glidewalking create indentation in otherwise pear-shaped der·ri·ère?

Glidewalking feels very natural and nice to me.  When i walk this way and daintily place my hands in front of my chest (fingers lightly touching, and shoulders well positioned from shoulder roll) i feel like an actress from the 1920's. haha.  but normally i just glidewalk up and down the street for exercise and my gluts feel simulataneously like their being massaged and worked out.  i also like the feeling of consciously lifting the arch of my foot after it lands.  i never questioned if i was doing it right as the instructions seemed clear to me. then i read through this forum and i hope i am doing it right. 

if i am doing glidewalking right and do it often enough, will it change my body shape? although i am of a good weight/size, i have a pear shaped body on account of some sagging of the derriere.  i would love to be able to get some of that indentation in the underneath/side of the buttocks that i notice in people with an athletic physique, and in young children.  butt-lifting exercises have not accomplished this for me.  Has anyone exerienced a change in shape of the buttocks from glidewalking?  is it possible to go from pear-shaped butt to having that indentation?  esp if i also exercise (usually a combo of some walking and running for 20 min a day, or a longer glidewalking with baby in stroller.. plus sqats/pushups a few times a week). 

health benefits are most important to me (good energy/feeling strong), but this would be a great bonus.

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

That's so wonderful that you are enjoying your glidewalking!  It sounds like you are doing a great job of squeezing those glutes, using your feet and feeling magnificent as you glide through your day.

I see bodies changing all of the time with my students.  People who used to have a lot of curvature in there spines straighten out well.  Severe pelvic tucks can be reversed.  It's very inspiring.  And, rear ends can change too!  Granted we all have genes which play a large part in how our bodies present themselves.  But, if you are using your gluteus medius while you walk, it will absolutely get stronger.  And it will, with time, change your appearance.  How drastically, I cannot say.  I will say that it is possible though!

Good luck and bravo for all of the progress!

Best, 

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto/San Francisco