fbpx Feels like I'm lunging | Gokhale Method Institute

Feels like I'm lunging

Adrian La-Garde
Adrian La-Garde's picture
12 years 1 month ago
Feels like I'm lunging

I am working my way through the 8-Steps book with great success so far. I am now begining to work on Glidewalking, which is the hardest to understand from the many steps involved, but I think it's coming.

When I get to the part where the leading leg/heel strikes the ground the instructions say to bend the knee of the leading leg, but I feel like I'm "lunging" since I am trying to keep the back heel down as long as possible and I end up taking quite long strides. This also results in feeling like I'm bobbing up and down as I stride along.

Does this sound right? Should my head stay on an even level rather than moving up and down a lot?

Thanks,

Adrian

Founder
13 hours 33 min ago

A slight feeling of lunging is part of glidewalking - congratulations! Leaving the back heel down all the way through landing is a little exaggerated. I teach to beginners because they tend to raise the heel way too early. The accurate direction is to leave the back heel down quite long. 

This shouldn't result in you bobbing. That probably has to do with not ramping up the glute squeeze in a gradual fashion. Sometimes beginners do the squeeze very suddenly, which will bob you up and down.

Great persistence! This is difficult to learn without a teacher...