fbpx pelvic tilt and sway back | Gokhale Method Institute

pelvic tilt and sway back

moyer
moyer's picture
10 years 6 months ago
pelvic tilt and sway back

i think i'm swaying the lumbar when i try to do/maintain the pelvic tilt. i understaing that the tilt happens at the L5/S1 area, and the sway is higher up in the lumbar area.  how do i isolate the pelvic tilt from a lumbar sway? should i try to flatten the lumbar?

Founder
1 day 7 hours ago

1. Don't get your pelvic tilt by tightening up your erector spinae muscles / sticking your bum back. This will indeed give you an exaggerated sway. Rather, develop a pelvic tilt slowly by strengthening your glutes in glidewalking, and learnign to release unhealthy tension in rectus adbominis. 

2. Do actively work to eliminate your sway. Do this by tucking the ribcage, not the pelvis. See my blog posts on "rib anchor" for how to go about this: How to Not Sway Your Back in the Shower and Fixing a Sway Back. This is explained further in 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back and on the DVD.

3. It's a challenge to find exercises that will increase our L5-S1 angle while eliminating our sway. The bolster exercise is my favorite, but it's tricky to do correctly. I recommend finding a teacher to help you.