fbpx Spectacles with graduated lenses, or multifocals | Gokhale Method Institute

Spectacles with graduated lenses, or multifocals

louiseds
louiseds's picture
11 years 12 months ago
Spectacles with graduated lenses, or multifocals

Esther, I have unsuccessfully searched "spectacles" on your site. I am wondering if you would comment on wearing these types of spectacles? I figured it probably fits in the Stacksitting Forum, as most of us use a computer sitting down,ie where eye height is fixed. Often a computer screen is a little further away than normal reading distance, which is fine if you have a 'screen distance' zone in your spectacles. If reading detail at the top of the screen it is sometimes necessary to lean forward and tilt your head back to see fine detail through the bottom of the lenses (reading distance). I adjust my monitor so it is as low as possible, but still find myself often craning my neck back. I can see a pair of glasses just for computer use being on my shopping list.

This is also a problem if doing closeup tasks which are significantly higher or significantly lower than reading distance. These spectacles seem to conspire to have me sticking my neck out and/or tilting my head back. Having readers seems to be the only solution.

How many pairs of specs does a woman need? I love only having one pair and wearing them all the time. They don't get lost that way!

Founder
13 hours 54 min ago

There are two problems here - the problem of adjusting your glasses to your new line of vision and the multifocal problem. All I can say is that these problems are real

srothkin
srothkin's picture
10 years 4 weeks ago

I've worn progressive lenses for over ten years now. What I've found (especially with the larger screens) is that I need to position my monitor at a height and distance where I am using the distance (top) portion of the lenses (rather than the reading portions in the middle and bottom). This is the only way that I can take in an entire 22" wide screen without having to constantly move my head to keep the whole screen in focus.

This definitely puts the screen higher and further away than recommended by most guides for ergonomic workstation setup, but the only way to get it in the reading range (even the middle part) is to put the screen where I would put a book -- that's way too close to use the whole screen.

Eldam713
Eldam713's picture
6 years 2 months ago

I work with two monitors on my desk. I had two large monitors and was having trouble finding the right height/distance for my eyeglasses. I replaced one of my large monitors with a smaller one. I use the smaller one as my primary screen, and this accommodates my lenses better without tilting my neck. But I have the larger screen available when I need that. I never thought I would give up a larger monitor, but I find this works very well for me.

Aurelia Vaicekauskas's picture
13 hours 59 min ago

Yes, desk work can be challenging for people who wear glasses, yours is a great solution! 

Aurelia Vaicekauskas

Gokhale Method Teacher