fbpx Stack sitting and legs | Gokhale Method Institute

Stack sitting and legs

srini123
srini123's picture
11 years 5 months ago
Stack sitting and legs
Hello!

I live in India. I saw Maya for an initial consultation a few months ago.

My job involves sitting on an office chair 6-8 hours a day

I am trying to master stack sitting and would like to get to point where I can sit comfortably for 2-3 hours.

I find sitting at the edge of the chair without a wedge easiest. I find using a folded towel as a wedge uncomfortable (not sure why)?

My question has to do with the angle of my legs.

Should the lower legs angle away from the knees? That is, should the whole leg be at some angle to the upper body? Or should the lower legs be perpendicular to the upper legs. Is it ok if the lower legs are folded inward?

Because my chair is short, I find myself constantly adjusting my lower legs.

Thanks so much for your advice.

warm regards,
Srini 
Founder
9 hours 51 sec ago
Hi Srini,

Your lower legs can be angled away from your body, toward it or perpendicularly to the ground - it doesn't matter. Choose whatever is most comfortable. I personally like to have one lower leg out and the other angled in toward my body as this gives me a feeling of stability.

What does matter is how your upper legs are angled relative to your body. If you have very flexible hamstrings, you can angle the upper legs parallel to the ground or even upward (as when sitting on a low stool); if your hamstrings are tight, it becomes important to angle the upper legs downward so your tight hamstrings don't pull on your sit bones and cause your pelvis to tuck.

Of course the angle of your upper legs is going to determine to some extent what is possible for the lower legs, but again, there isn't a theoretical constraint here.

About the folded towel being uncomfortable, perhaps it packs hard. Try a plush towel (the kinds that don't dry you too well!) or folded fleece for added comfort. In future, the more you learn to glidewalk, the more you will find that you have a built-in wedge and aren't as dependent on an external wedge. Sitting on the front edge of your chair is a good solution.
srini123
srini123's picture
11 years 5 months ago
Thanks Esther!

warm regards,

Srini