fbpx How do I get out of the chair? | Gokhale Method Institute

How do I get out of the chair?

lizt53
lizt53's picture
14 years 4 months ago
How do I get out of the chair?
I'm stressing my knees and lower back when I get up after stretchsitting or stacksitting. The chair I'm using for this is too short ... all chairs are too short, except my office chair, which is adjustable. I plan to attach a towel to the back of my office chair today, and try using it for stretchsitting and stacksitting. This chair is tall enough that my upper legs angle down a bit, rather than being parallel with the floor.

My office chair has armrests, so I can use them to get up. But when I sit at the dining room table, or in chairs out in public, I feel "stuck" trying to get out of the darn chair. I'm almost 6 feet tall, and a bit heavier than I'd like (not obese). I'm sure that losing weight will help, but that's an ongoing challenge.

What do you suggest? Thanks much, Esther. I've been following the lessons in your book very carefully, and I watched the Google video. I'm quickly realizing the benefits in a way I never thought was possible. I never dared hope there was a way out of constant, debilitating pain, but I started getting immediate relief as soon as I started the lessons. Truly amazing.

Liz
Maya
Maya's picture
5 years 9 months ago
Hi Liz,

Getting up from a chair can be tricky, especially if it is low, since it does put more pressure on the knees. You want to hinge forward from your stacksitting position, and think about pressing through your heels and using your quads as you stand up and come back up from the hip-hinged position.  Make sure that your legs are aligned well as you do this; the knees should always be turned slightly outwards. Also, it might help to put your hands on your thighs (right above your knees) to help press yourself up. It sounds like this is what you have been doing with the armrests of the office chair, and you can use your legs in a similar way. Let us know if this is helpful.

I'm so glad that the lessons in Esther's book are working for you.

Best wishes,

Maya
Instructor, Esther Gokhale Wellness Center
Founder
14 hours 9 min ago
I've taught an 85 ear old woman with three significantly withered limbs to get up off the floor by herself by hiphinging as an intermediate position. It really does help to hinge forward, then press your buttocks up in the air and then unhinge your upper body (possibly using your hands to press against your legs like Maya suggests).

There is also a product out there that is springloaded and will spring your seat up and out of your chair on releasing a latch, but you want to make sure you don't get weaker by relying on such a device.
lizt53
lizt53's picture
14 years 4 months ago
Thanks, Maya & Esther, for your advice. I've been trying what you suggest, and it is indeed helping!

Liz