fbpx Riding A Bicycle | Gokhale Method Institute

Riding A Bicycle

yonat
yonat's picture
1 year 4 months ago
Riding A Bicycle
How can I stack my back when riding a bicycle? When I reach the handlebars I have to lean forward.
Does that mean I have to hip-hinge when riding?
How will that affect my ability to push the pedals?
Founder
11 hours 23 min ago
Yes, you do want to hiphinge. As part of hiphinging, you want to majorly antevert (tip forward) your pelvis. I've never completely figured out how guys manage to do this, but they seem to! Some bike seats help with this by having appropriate cutouts. These are good to use anyway because longterm pressure on the pudendal nerve can cause problems for guys.

Regarding what muscles work your legs from this position, it is pretty much the same muscles as those that work your legs when your pelvis isn't anteverted - the psoas has a longer trajectory and the hamstrings a shorter one, but it's still the same muscles working.

Happy riding!
johnover
johnover's picture
14 years 6 months ago
Hi Yonat and Esther

I thought this would be a good place to start.
I emailed Esther about my bicycle last night. I have too much pain when I ride my bicycle. Years ago before there was pain, I loved riding, now, 1 mile is to far.
I have found a bicycle company that makes a bicycle that allows Stacksitting. I am going to get one soon, and see what happens. I would love to exercise on a bike again.

The Bicycle is the Townie by Electra.  http://www.electrabike.com

They have other models also, but the Townie seems like the best riding position.

I'll keep you updated
Thanks
John
lizt53
lizt53's picture
14 years 4 months ago
I agree about the Electra Townie bicycle. I just discovered it the other day, when I went to the bike shop looking for a new bike. After adjusting the seat and handlebars high enough, I was able to take it for a spin and I was amazed. It's like riding a Harley! Very comfortable and fun. I could keep my spine in the correct position, and my arms and shoulders were naturally aligned. Now I just have to figure out how I can afford the bike! It's a bit on the pricey side for my budget. But it will be a good investment.