fbpx Soreness in lower back while tensing corset muscles | Gokhale Method Institute

Soreness in lower back while tensing corset muscles

patrick.landreman
patrick.landreman's picture
12 years 9 months ago
Soreness in lower back while tensing corset muscles

I've been feeling quite a bit of soreness recently when I tighten my corset muscles to lengthen my back.  I figure this could either be a) good soreness as my spine gets used to being stretched out, or b) bad soreness from inadvertently compressing the disks with the extra muscle tension.  When I am tensed into the 'greyhound' position, I do see curvature in my back but I have a hard time telling what is excessive sway and what is correct lumbar curvature.  I try as much as possible to stretch up and forwards to avoid swaying.

How can I test that what I am doing is correct and not going to cause problems?

charlenehannibal
charlenehannibal's picture
Teacher
3 years 2 months ago

Soreness is quite common when students begin to practice the Inner Corset, as the Erector Spinae muscles can feel like they are getting pulled taut.  The attachments of the ES muscles may feel sore at first-this often reduces over a few weeks in our experience. 

Without seeing you, if you are following the directions of taking the rib cage up, around, and forward, you are likely not swaying, or at least improving on any sway you may already be struggling with.  Ideally you will not have a big curve at the lumbar except very low at L5-S1.  This may be easier with time as you tease out any habitual sway you might already have. 

Sometimes it is not a bad idea to stand against a wall and without flattening your low back (don't tuck), feel the back of your ribs push into the wall and slide up the wall as you engage your Inner Corset.  Remember that the IC is something that wants to help you get taller and slimmer, so the the sliding up is proof that you elongated.  Then the fact you you pressing the back of the ribs into the wall, you will be assured that your ribs are rotating in the right direction.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Warmly,

Charlene Hannibal

Gokhale Method Teacher, Palo Alto and San Francisco