fbpx Kneeling? | Gokhale Method Institute

Kneeling?

sieren
sieren's picture
12 years 1 week ago
Kneeling?
I have a question...I have to kneel down and stand back up a lot for my job (I am a nurse) and I was wondering what the best way to go about this is?  I feel like right now I'm puttng too much stress on my knees when I am in the process of kneeling down and standing back up.  I *would* just squat down instead, but I am not that steady when doing it correctly (on the heels, not the balls of the feet) yet!
Founder
50 min 48 sec ago
Unless you grew up squatting, I recommend against it. You will probably end up putting pressure on your lumbar disks in a particularly bad direction and you will probably also pronate your feet. To get up from kneeling without straining your knees I recommend going onto all fours, then raising one knee off the ground and positioning the corresponding foot where the knee was. Next do the same on the other side so you end up in a hiphinged position with your bottom high up in the air. Now you just un-hiphinge to a standing position.
sieren
sieren's picture
12 years 1 week ago
That is really too bad that you have to grow up squatting to be able to do it properly as an adult!  :-\  That is one thing that would be really nice to be able to do! Thank you for the advice on kneeling--I can see that working very well, and will be doing it that way at work from now on!  :) *sigh* it is a bit frustrating that it seems as though I have done almost everything wrong posture-wise, up until I discovered the 8 steps book.  The only think I've done well previously is going barefoot almost constantly as a kid, and continuing to do so as an adult.  Therefore, I have very strong feet and am very comfortable walking barefoot and using my foot muscles properly (like in glidewalking!) so at least there is one thing going for me, haha!  :P
Founder
50 min 48 sec ago
But isn't it a treat to find this later in life? I find it gives me an unexpected fresh lease on life, a secret way to reverse aging and have confidence in my body. It's a fun ride!
sieren
sieren's picture
12 years 1 week ago
I agree it is basically a new lease on life!!  --it is so fascinating to learn all of these things, and I really look forward to raising my (future) kids with the correct posture now that I have this knowledge, thanks to you! :)