fbpx learning to glidewalk | Gokhale Method Institute

learning to glidewalk

zooiet
zooiet's picture
8 years 6 months ago
learning to glidewalk
I have to concentrate so hard that I end up walking really slowly and look like a sick robot!  Is this a normal process?  It is totally exhausting?  Is the objective to glidewalk only when taking walks, or should we strive for it to be the normal way of walking? I really found the hip online class to be superb.. although a few online notes/memory joggers/key points for each class would be very helpful.    Thank you so much Esther - I'm feeling very hopeful that I will be able to avoid further surgery with your help. 
Founder
4 min 42 sec ago
I recommend you focus on only one thing at a time when you are walking in public so you can walk at a normal speed. Cycle through different awarenesses - you might focus on squeezing your glutes for a while, then switch to leaving your back heel on the floor, etc. Soon it will take less and less RAM to track these different aspects of glidewalking (which is really normal walking) and you can track more aspects at the same time. Sometimes it is good to switch to a totally different and global way of approaching glidewalking - imagine you are carrying an urn of water on your head and you don't want to spill any water. in any case, do anything anything that makes you feel like a sick robot! Glad you appreciated the teleseminar - it's amazing what modern technology can make happen. People have been very enthusiastic about those and I am planning to increase the number and variety of teleseminar offerings: http://www.egwellness.com/classes-services/onlineconsultation.
JANNELLE
JANNELLE's picture
3 weeks 2 days ago

Not sure where to post my questions but given i am learning decided to put them here.

1.  do older people who have glidewalked all their lives get hammer toe

2.  what sensations should you have in the support leg through the phase of the other leg stride.  ie what muscles should I feel working

3.  is the ramping down of the middle glute when the foot touches the ground under voluntary controlo - i cannot seem to affect it. 

4. does glide walking strenthen the muscles in the back that would help kyphosis - is it correct glide walking if i feel my head very slightly pulled back with each stride forward.

5. Can you glidewalk if you are slightly bent forward at the hips and feel apull if you try to straighten. That is also where i get sore if I glidwalk for a while. It feels like it affects the placement of my foot at the end of each stride.